Artist: Jon Burgerman
Size: 40 x 30 Inches
Medium: Mixed Media on Canvas
Notes: Hand Signed and Dated on Verso.
Jon Burgerman's art is an instantly recognizable force that has captivated audiences across the globe, gracing a diverse array of venues from art fairs, galleries, and museums to even the illustrious White House. His creative prowess has led to his works finding a lasting home in the esteemed permanent collections of institutions such as the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. Notably, his digital creations have garnered acclaim, with the OÖ-Kultur museum in Linz, Austria acquiring his digital work.
The year 2022 saw a vibrant showcase of Burgerman's artistic endeavors, with exhibitions that spanned the globe. His works were featured at renowned venues including the WOAW Gallery in Hong Kong, the Chengdu Times Art Museum in China, the MISA Art fairs in Berlin and Cologne, the Ojiri Gallery in London, the Dopeness Art Lab in Taipei, and the Jane Lombard Gallery in New York.
At the core of Burgerman's artistic philosophy lies the belief that embracing creativity and experiencing joy are fundamental to his practice. He is a firm advocate that the simplest acts of creativity possess the potential to not only transform an individual's world but also have a ripple effect on the broader world around them.
Burgerman's artistic expression knows no bounds, spanning a wide spectrum of media including paint, aerosols, digital, and moving images. His online presence is undeniable, with his GIFs amassing an astonishing 9.5 billion views. Collaboration with iconic brands including Apple, Samsung, Pepsi, Snapchat, Instagram, and Nike has further cemented his influence. His creative ventures extend beyond traditional art forms, encompassing vinyl collectible toys, picture books, apparel, fabric collections, inflatables, homeware, sportswear, and even underwear.
His art resonates deeply with its audience, reflecting the intricate emotional tapestry of individuals. The interplay of soft shapes and vibrant colors creates captivating compositions that exude visual freedom and aesthetic delight. Yet, beneath this surface lies a complexity of emotions, with conflicting feelings interwoven into every brushstroke. Abstracted cartoon forms become the cornerstones of his compositions, where masses of shapes are arranged in precarious yet harmonious arrangements.
Burgerman's creative process is driven by a synesthetic connection, guiding his intuitive choices as he works. His works embody a visual rhythm reminiscent of artists like Miró and Kandinsky, infused with the pulsating energy of contemporary electronic music. This fusion of sight and sound underscores the immersive experience his art offers.
The use of aerosol as a medium infuses his art with fluidity and spontaneity, enabling him to swiftly translate his imagination onto canvas. This improvisational quality is imbued with the pure joy that the act of creativity brings. Amongst the vibrant hues, rough impasto marks intertwine, akin to Cy Twombly's expressive scrawls and the graffiti that colors the streets of Brooklyn.
In essence, Burgerman's artworks strike a balance between contrasts, juxtaposing emotional highs and lows with crude, bold marks and delicate, forgiving forms. The resulting compositions embody both strength and vulnerability, mirroring the complex emotional landscape of our times. In the face of societal challenges, from mental health struggles to climate anxiety, his art offers a resilient elasticity—an enduring smile, a glimmer of hope, and the transformative power of creative expression.
- Solo show 'Economies of Scale', Deshan Art Space, Beijing, China
- Group show 'Back to Black', Madre Museum, Naples, Italy
- Group show 'Street Art in Print', V&A Museum, London, UK
- Installation 'Papering Over The Cracks', Castle Museum, Nottingham, UK
- Group show 'On!', CAC Museum, Cincinnati, USA
- Solo show 'Racing Lines', Southbank Centre, London, UK
- Solo show 'Burgerworld', LOTTE Art Space, Seoul, Korea
- Instagram group exhibition, Tate Modern, London, UK
- Solo show 'Fun Factory', M Contemporary Museum, Seoul, Korea
- Group show 'Can’t Wait To Meet You', Primary, Miami, USA
- Group show 'Caterpillar', Galerie Silka, Lyon, France
- Solo show 'Eye Candy', Praise Shadows, Boston, USA
- ARCO Madrid art fair, L21 Gallery booth, Madrid, Spain
- Solo booth, Urban Break art fair, Seoul, Korea
- Group show 'Summer Camp', GR Gallery, Manhattan, NY, USA
- MISA Art fair, König Galerie, Berlin, Germany
- Solo presentation 'Fuzzy Faces', Thinkspace, LA
- Group show 'Badass', Dopeness Art Lab, Taipei, Taiwan
- Art Taipei fair booth with Dopeness Art Lab, Taipei, Taiwan
- MISA Art fair, König Galerie, Cologne, Germany
- Solo show 'Face Time', Dopeness Art Lab, Taipei, Taiwan
- Solo show 'Hot Spot', Ojiri Gallery, London
- Solo show 'New Friends', WOAW Gallery, Hong Kong
- BAMA art fair, Busan, Korea
- Group show 'Vision X', Chengdu Times Art Museum, China
- Group show 'Punchline', Jane Lombard Gallery, New York
- Solo show 'Group Therapy', WOAW gallery, China
- Group show, L21 Gallery, Palma, Spain
- Solo show 'No Hard Feelings', Galerie Slika, Lyon, France
- Solo show collaboration with Sesame Street, Harbour City, Hong Kong
- SG Art Fair, Singapore with WOAW Gallery, Hong Kong
- Group show 'Search Party', Tatjana Pieters, Belgium
- Taipei Dangdai Art Fair with WOAW Gallery, Taipei
- Solo show 'Sim City', Omni Gallery, London
- Group show 'Dream Paper 2', Galerie Slika, Lyon, France
- Group show 'The Cuteness Factor', Ludwig Museum of Contemporary Art, Budapest, Hungary
This chronicle of exhibitions bears witness to Jon Burgerman's ceaseless creative journey, a narrative that speaks to his unwavering dedication to shaping the art world with his distinctive voice.